Thank you for showing an interest in hosting a furniture drive for the Houston Furniture Bank.
The furniture and household items you collect helps individuals and families from over 85 social service agencies create a safe, comfortable and healthy home. Our resources depend on generous community donations, a furniture drive is a great way to ensure the items needed to serve those in need. The goals of any furniture drive done on behalf of Houston Furniture Bank should be to…
- Educate your local community about HFB
- Get a lot of furniture donated
What should the Community know about HFB?
Houston Furniture Bank (HFB) is a charitable 501(C)(3) entity collecting donations of household furnishings and providing them at no-cost to families and individuals in need. Our motto is “furnish hope and make empty houses homes.” Since their founding in 2003, HFB has helped over 90,000 individuals. In addition, HFB:
- Has a volunteer decorating service – D.I.V.A.S. – that helps select furnishings and makeover selected families’ homes.
- Has established a thrift store – the Furniture Outlet – that supplements funding for HFB through the resale of donated items and is accessible to the general public.
- Has started a mattress-recycling program to remove 100,000 mattresses from area landfills within the next three years. All profits go to cover HFB operating costs.
- Is a one-of-a-kind organization in the Houston area, they’re not affiliated with any national or state organization.
- Created job opportunities for “hard to employ” individuals coming out of the prisons or ending their homelessness.
The first actions to take to get started are the following:
- Establish a committee
- Write volunteer job descriptions
- And create advertisement